Sunday, 2 September 2012

Something Blue

Come over to Home and Scrapped to join in my September Challenge! Here are the details.

Something Old,
Something New,
Something Borrowed,
Something Blue????

A time honoured tradition with a new spin.

Create a monochrome layout. That is, choose a colour and use only that colour plus any neutrals (such as white, beige, cream, brown shades, grey or black). It doesn't have to be blue, use any colour you like.

THEN add something old, something new and something borrowed. It sounds a bit tricky but use your creativity and tell us what it is about your project that reflects the challenge.

Something Old: The background papers for this are about 5 years old and the book pages I've used are about 25 years old.

Something New: The patterned paper used for the butterflies and vertically beside the photo matte is brand new to me.

Something Borrowed: I borrowed the idea of the colouring of the title alphabets.

Something Blue! The colour I chose was blue.

I used:
KI Memories Lace Cardstock
Making Memories Audrey Scallop Ledger
Bazzill Basics Cardstock Stonewash
Chipboard Swirls (manufacturer unknown)
Chipboard Alphas (manufacturer unknown)
Donna Salazar Bitty Blossoms and Rose Creations Diecuts
Pion Designs From My Heart II Patterned Paper
GCD Spring In Bloom White Roses Patterned Paper
Pages from an old book
Distress Ink: Faded denim
Blue Ink
Doodlebug Crushed Velvet Flock – white
Blue Hat Pin

This was a very simple layout using layers, flowers made from cardstock and old book pages and altered chipboards. I really wanted the focus to be on the colour. I also wanted to show that you can very effectively use what you have in your stash. The ledger paper used in the background, the lace cardstock and all the chipboards are over 4-5 years old and were easily mixed with some current patterned papers.

The chipboard swirls were painted with gesso and then inked using a sponge and various blue inks.

The chipboard alphabets were altered using flocking. I covered the letters in glue and the pressed the flocking onto the letters. After the glue was dry, I added blue ink by pressing the ink pad directly on to the flocking.

The little butterflies were cut from Pion designs patterned paper and swiped with blue ink.

Thank you for visiting my blog, enjoy and stay inspired.



  1. Very Nice Vicki! Can't wait to do this challenge!

  2. So pretty Vicki! And what a cool challenge idea, love it!